Can OpenWRT play MP3 from USB stick?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Loslobos

Can OpenWRT play MP3 from USB stick?

Post by Loslobos »

Jeff
I just want to ask if there is possibility to prepare additional config for MPC/MPD to perform action like this:
Assumption #1: there are two USB ports available (or one USB + SD card reader mod?)
Assumption #2: one USB is occupied by sound card and not available for other purposes.
- in case no stick is detected in second USB port - MPD is playing internet radio stream as it does right now.
- in case flash is detected in second USB port - MPD is reading the content of this stick and start playing regardless to folders structure and so on. Just from the first file to last one. With support to mpc prev/next commands
- in case this solutuin would be based on card reader - let MPD do the same, but it would be easier to determine SD card is inserted and mount this card (e.g. by connecting proper pin of SD card socket to available PIO and launch some script when PIO state go from 1 to 0.

I would love to have this feature added to WRT54G-TM - it would make this device absolutely great for me .
Question is if this is possible and if somebody can start dealing with scripts as I can not - I'm not familiar to Linux...

Regards
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Can OpenWRT play MP3 from USB stick?

Post by mightyohm »

I agree that this would be a neat feature. Of course, the WL-520gU only has one USB port, so a USB hub would be needed, and it always seems like people are complaining about problems with USB hubs (mostly due to loading too many / wrong USB drivers!)

This kind of customization is probably best for you to learn and experiment with yourself. I do not consider myself a Linux expert and I was able to get some basic scripts working (I still do not consider myself to be very knowledgeable in this area, just enough to make it work!) I think if you are patient and invest the time you can make the router do what you want, or something "close enough". There are posts on the forums about mounting USB drives and I know there are some potential issues, it is best to start reading what others have done.

I have not spent much time with OpenWrt in over a year now, but I am planning to give a workshop in the coming months and I may download and play with backfire, the latest OpenWrt release. If I get the new release working to my satisfaction I will of course post the files here.