Wi-Fi config - request for help

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Loslobos

Wi-Fi config - request for help

Post by Loslobos »

Hello
I'm stucked with WRT54G-TM at network configuration.
In case WRT54G-TM is only one device which uses my home Wi-Fi (served by second WRT54G-TM) - everything is working fine.
In case my wife's laptop is trying to get "on air" - it fails. It looks like router converted into internet radio is making a lot of mess in my home wireless network.

My questions are:
- how to clear this issue (how to force "radio WRT54G-TM" to act as regular Wi-Fi client to the second WRT54G-TM - in cooperation with other clients - like my wife's laptop)
- is it possible to configure "radio WRT54G-TM" to act as Wi-Fi client, internet radio player and at the same time as an packet forwarder to devices connected to his LAN ports - I think about setup some Wi-Fi bridge. I guess wl0 have to be a part of LAN vlan without additional routing... But how can I do that?

Anyway - first bullet is the most important case. Having "radio WRT54G-TM" as a properly set Wi-Fi client (even with LAN/WAN ports switched down) will make me happy.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Wi-Fi config - request for help

Post by mightyohm »

Edit: I just read your other post and see that you are trying to port my project to the WRT54G-TM. Very cool! :D

Client mode is controlled by the /etc/config/wireless settings in OpenWrt (at least it is in Kamikaze). Setting "option mode sta" should be enough. Take a look at the /etc/config/wireless in the tutorial for an example.

I'm not sure why the router is forcing the laptop off the network. It's possible that the router is too close to the laptop - I have seen this problem before if I put my WL-520gU right next to my Macbook. Moving it a few feet away solves the problem.

There might also be a bug with the WRT54G-TM support of OpenWrt and the radio is acting up. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Have you checked the openwrt.org forums to see if anyone else is having issues with the WRT54G-TM?

It is possible to do all sorts of interesting things with the routing of traffic to various ports on the router. Unfortunately I am not an expert, but I do know that the OpenWrt documentation talks about it a bit.
Loslobos

Post by Loslobos »

Hello Jeff
Thanks for this reply.
I have to mention, that my WRT54G-TM is already working in sta (wireless client) mode. Config in /etc/config/network & wireless I did exactly like You suggested in Your how-to. At this time suspected reasons for me are
- both routers are having the same MAC for the WAN port - maybe in sta mode MAC is assigned to wl0 and than I have two devices with the same MACs in my network (regardless I don't know how to change MAC without luci - I need to search the info.
- maybe I have DNS server still running on the second router - but thys should not be a harmfull thing because DNS is working for the LAN side - not for the WAN - if I'm facing problem with DNS (my wife's laptop repporting this) then it looks like the second router is not acting like a real client on the wifi and I'm having some "network leakage" through this device.
So the first I have to find a root cause...

My project will be suspended for a couple of days. I changed my job and I'm a part of lots of trainings and meetings at my new employeer office. I just have no time to deal with the project and it makes me sad...

Regards
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Two devices with same MAC address is almost certainly a problem.

Here is information about changing it, this might or might not work depending on what version of OpenWrt you are running. If this fails, search the openwrt.org forums.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=14360

If you have an IP address conflict, that will create problems as well - you need to figure out whether you have multiple clients set to the same static IP or a problem with your DHCP server.