OpenWrt kernel modules crash?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
denix

OpenWrt kernel modules crash?

Post by denix »

Hi,

I've been trying to enable either NFS or Samba/CIFS mounting on my newly flashed wl520 with the firmware provided by MightyOhm. Since his repository doesn't have necessary packages (besides samba-client, which works, but doesn't mount), I am trying to pull from main OpenWrt repositories.

I've tried adding http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ ... /packages/ and http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 ... /packages/ and installing kernel modules and necessary apps from there.

So far the results are the same - kernel modules from those repositories load fine, but they carsh/oops when trying to mount a share. Tried NFS and CIFS modules from different upstream repositories...

Anyone tried this and had any luck?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: OpenWrt kernel modules crash?

Post by mightyohm »

Mixing repositories sounds scary to me and I can't vouch for any except mine.

If you have access to a Linux box, I would compile your own boot image and package files instead. That way you have full control over what packages are built and you know that they will work with the version of the kernel you are using.
denix

Post by denix »

Yes, that was my immediate reaction - I went to download the latest OpenWrt sources from SVN in order to build my images. But, I can't get past configuration, as "make menuconfig" segfaults when started. I haven't had much time to investigate it so far...
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Yikes!! What Linux distro are you using?
denix

Post by denix »

It wasn't distro specific (I use Gentoo). And I never had any problems with "menuconfig/mconf" in other projects, like kernel, busybox, uclibc...

So I finally found some time to debug it and mconf in OpenWrt is way too fragile - I had to disable my locale and call mconf directly with the config file:

$ ./scripts/config/mconf Config.in

Anyway, I built myself an image from trunk with latest MPD with all the protocols/codecs supported and NFS client to mount my music collection from the server. So far works fine.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in the image/packages I built...
binnary

Post by binnary »

Hi Denix!

I would be very interested in all the work you have done. I've been fighting all the day with the old version of MightyOhm OpenWRT Kamikaze with any success. It does not support fat or HFS+ mounts bigger than 1GB and cifs mount also crashes with "Segmentation fault" and error 22. Is your version capable of mounting usb drivers bigger than 1GB and mounting samba resources?

If it does, I would be very pleased if you share it with all the community, ;)

Thanks a lot and sorry about my bad english, I'm quite tired after all day working at this project :P

Bye!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

binnary wrote: I would be very interested in all the work you have done. I've been fighting all the day with the old version of MightyOhm OpenWRT Kamikaze with any success. It does not support fat or HFS+ mounts bigger than 1GB and cifs mount also crashes with "Segmentation fault" and error 22. Is your version capable of mounting usb drivers bigger than 1GB and mounting samba resources?
To get large drives working, you might need to use the linux-2.6 variant of Kamikaze, which last time I checked had broken wireless support. If they have fixed the Wi-Fi issues, then moving to the Linux 2.6 kernel would be a very worthwhile effort to get better USB device support.
binnary

Post by binnary »

mightyohm wrote: To get large drives working, you might need to use the linux-2.6 variant of Kamikaze, which last time I checked had broken wireless support. If they have fixed the Wi-Fi issues, then moving to the Linux 2.6 kernel would be a very worthwhile effort to get better USB device support.
And is there any solution for Linux 2.4 kernel and mount.cifs? Because USB drivers where my second option if I couldn't use samba mounts.

Thanks a lot!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I have had some success mounting large USB drives formatted with ext3. I'm not sure what the upper limit is, I may have only tried up to 1GB.