LCD Problem - any ideas to troubleshoot?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
eli2k

LCD Problem - any ideas to troubleshoot?

Post by eli2k »

Hello - I've been trying to follow the guides you have posted online to get the LCD screen working. I have all the connections set up properly (I think), and stuff boots up. After executing ./display.sh, the telnet screen sort of gets stuck, but the LCD screen starts displaying random characters and slowly scrolling. Do you know where I should start troubleshooting it?

Thanks,
- Eli
eli2k

Re: LCD Problem - any ideas to troubleshoot?

Post by eli2k »

I read the comments in your part 7 post, saw the 'Try running “make fuse”' part, and now it works. :)
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Awesome!
:D
stighess

Post by stighess »

eli2k wrote:I read the comments in your part 7 post, saw the 'Try running “make fuse”' part, and now it works. :)
I struggled with this as well, the display seemed to work, but wouldn't receive any data from the WL-520. I think you should include the fuse setting in the instructions. I just set them to 16MHZ, but that was some learning curve, reading a lot of pages, and there is a risk someone could burn the wrong fuses, making the Atmel unusable while experimenting.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Sorry this is causing problems. I will go back and see if I can edit the tutorial to be more helpful. The correct fuse settings should be in the Makefile for the project, executing "make fuse" should burn them without too much effort / experimentation required.
stighess

Post by stighess »

Of course! How stupid, I just flashed the file disregarding the instructions. However, it works wonderfully, just have to learn how to read the instructions in the future :-) Thanks.