WL-520gU with 1.5" digital picture frame for display

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
PaulieG

WL-520gU with 1.5" digital picture frame for display

Post by PaulieG »

I got inspired by this hack, but I don't really need a WiFi radio. I want to connect a webcam and a small digital picture frame - keychain to the router via USB. I found some promising info in this wiki. I did manage to hack the firmware in the shift³ device and updated the wiki accordingly. I installed OpenWrt 8.09.1 on my WL-520gU as well as the kernel modules for usb (kmod-usb-core, kmod-usb-storage, kmod-usb-ohci, kmod-usb-uhci, kmod-usb-uhci-iv). I also installed st2205tool package but so far, I'm unable to get it to work (as I mentioned here). Any ideas? I'm hoping someone out there got this to work.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: WL-520gU with 1.5" digital picture frame for display

Post by mightyohm »

Any idea what format the mass storage device on the device is? You may need to install the corresponding fs kernel module, ie. kmod-fs-vfat, or kmod-fs-ext3, etc.
PaulieG

Post by PaulieG »

mightyohm wrote:Any idea what format the mass storage device on the device is? You may need to install the corresponding fs kernel module, ie. kmod-fs-vfat, or kmod-fs-ext3, etc.
Thanks, I've tried that already, and it made no difference. It turns out that the device does not use a specific standard fs. michu replied to my post at openwrt forums, and he says that the device cannot be mounted like a disk. I'm afraid I'll have to figure out how to cross compile st2205tool from sources. Not sure how to set up the environment for that just yet. I hope there's some guides out there.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I have had difficulty finding good information about this process. I was able to stumble through it myself and compile a simple program, but I have not had a chance to document it and now it seems I lost my notes :( .

If anyone does know of a good, up to date guide for compiling your own packages on OpenWrt, please post a link here!