Router is overheating

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
woodsyx

Router is overheating

Post by woodsyx »

So I soldered the 4 pin connector to my router and sat down with my laptop to flash the thing but first off I couldn't get any sort of boot log from the router so after playing with the settings to make sure everything was right I finally managed to get some random unicode characters and then nothing. I wasn't able to access the web control panel either and when I go to replug in the router to try again I notice the cpu is really hot, and when i plug it back in nothing will turn on. If I wait a bit for the cpu to cool back down I can turn it back on but it refuses to work for me. Did I mess something up or possibly fry the board somehow? Do I just need to rebut it or can I salvage it. Thanks.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Router is overheating

Post by mightyohm »

The CPU does get pretty hot, so what you are feeling might be normal. It is possible that you shorted one of the serial pins when you soldered the header. Check your solder joints and make sure there aren't any solder bridges to any adjacent pins or traces. If you don't get any LED activity or can't see the webserver on the router after waiting 2-3 minutes after powerup then there is something wrong with the router. What serial cable are you using?
woodsyx

Post by woodsyx »

I'm using the cable you recommended and have checked over everything and it doesn't appear to be any of those problems. The LED was coming on but I just sat down to try again and it blinked shortly once and then refuses to go on so I'm assuming that its broken and and if I wait a few min and try again it repeats so it's off to newegg to buy a new one.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Sorry to hear that. :(