Can't send commands to ASUS via serial

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
jhodges

Can't send commands to ASUS via serial

Post by jhodges »

Hi all,

I was able to get the kamikaze software flashed on to my router, but I can't seem to bring up the shell prompt. I'm using ZTerm on Mac OS X and can see the serial output (bootup messages, etc) in the terminal. It's configured to 115200, 8N1, Xon/Xoff. The problem is that when I type, I can't seem to get the router to give up the command prompt, and thus I cannot configure the router. Any hints? Could I have a bad connection on the male header on the board or is it something simpler.

Thanks,
Jon
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Can't send commands to ASUS via serial

Post by mightyohm »

Turn off flow control and see if that fixes it.
srobinson

Post by srobinson »

Hi,

Im getting the same problem.. It worked fine before, but unfortunatly the pins broke on the board so we had to resolder some new ones on! I can get the output onto HyperTerminal (on windows) but cant press any keys! I cant see anything wrong with my connections on the board... Flow control is off by default here.

Scott
mike

Post by mike »

I had the same problem as well. As a work around I was able to telnet into the ASUS WL-520GU, i.e. telnet 192.168.1.1

From there I was able to get everything up and running! Kudos to Jeff for some serious out of the box thinking and putting all of this together!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Thanks mike! Sorry to hear you are having issues with the serial port. Here's a small checklist that might help people who are having serial problems:

1. Are you using the correct USB-Serial cable? The router expects a 3.3V TTL level serial signal. Most off the shelf USB-Serial converters won't work since they output the wrong voltages. That's why I recommend using the FTDI cable spec'd in the tutorial.

2. Do you have your serial terminal set up correctly? 115200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity (8N1) is the only setting that will work. Other settings will produce garbage or nothing at all.

3. Are you plugging the USB-serial cable in the right way? Note that I made a small adapter board for the FTDI cable so that the pins would match up with the router. Make sure you connect the USB-serial ground to the pin opposite the one with the fat trace connected to it. It's the pin closest to the back side of the router (the side with the ethernet/USB ports). Try swapping TX and RX and see if that fixes your problem.

4. Do the pins you soldered into the router PCB look like they have good solder connections? Make sure the solder joints don't bridge to each other or to other traces on the PCB. If all else fails, try touching up your solder joints and see if that fixes the problem. If you have a DMM, you could try checking the TX and RX lines to make sure they aren't shorted to each other or to ground.

I hope this helps, if anyone is still having problems with this please post to the forums and I can try to help.
NelsonPJ

Post by NelsonPJ »

I just started on this yesterday, using a Windows laptop with HyperTerminal for the serial connection with the FTDI cable. As has been repeated here over and over, make SURE you have TURNED OFF FLOW CONTROL! I thought I had it off, but when I later checked, it was ON! :-) I initially connected at 115200 baud, 8N1 and got the messages from the router displayed in HyperTerminal (woo hoo!) but I couldn't type anything! Looking through the comments (and apparently ignoring all the comments about flow control!) I eventually opened up a command window and used Telnet to 192.168.1.1 to access the router (since I still had the ethernet cable hooked to the LAN1 port on the router) but my real problem with Hyperterminal was flow control! You can't change flow control once you're connected, but eventually I "hung up" with HyperTerminal and checked my configuration, and sure enough, flow control was turned on!

I've noticed that HyperTerminal seems to "auto config" some of the settings when you make a change. For instance, when I later changed the serial rate to 9600 baud, I got garbage on the screen instead of the song titles. It took me a while to figure out that HyperTerminal apparently changed my "Emulation" property to something odd (options are ANSI, ANSIW, Auto detect, Minitel, TTY, Viewdata, VT100, VT100J, VT52) but when I changed "Emulation" to "Auto detect" it worked. I'm not sure what the real setting is supposed to be, but Auto detect worked for me.