No soldering iron

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Bulletproof

No soldering iron

Post by Bulletproof »

Is anyone out there interested in selling me this unit pre-made? I don't need (or want!) the case - that I CAN make. But the electronics/programming etc. is beyond me.

I would love to build this into an old 1930's floor-standing radio I have in my living room. Tube replacement has become an issue, and who wants to hear modern AM radio coming from a vintage radio? This way I could stream Old Time Radio shows, pop music from the 1940's and Classical!

let me know!

Ron.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: No soldering iron

Post by mightyohm »

Making totally finished radios is a little tricky because there is a certain amount of programming knowledge that everyone will need in order to configure the router and set up their presets. I'm not really interested in making a finished radio anyway, because this project is about learning and experimentation. If you want a finished wifi radio, there are several on the market that could likely be repurposed to do what you want.

However, if we can get enough interested people together to justify a PCB run, I may consider making a kit. There was some discussion about producing a kit earlier this year, but it stalled when we were unable to secure wholesale pricing on the routers. A kit (with the option of preassembled PCB's and a router with soldered pins) might solve some of the issues with soldering that we have seen.