Geiger Counter IoT

Support forum for the mightyohm.com Geiger Counter.
http://mightyohm.com/geiger
dmainmon

Geiger Counter IoT

Post by dmainmon »

I hacked the MightyOHM Geiger Counter Kit and developed Geiger Counter IoT.

I've created an instructable with videos on how to DIY. http://www.instructables.com/id/Geiger-Counter-IoT

The project uses an ESP8266-12E to read the LED pulses. The pulses are counted and data logged every minute. The data is then displayed as a web page complete with Google Charts. Over 40 days of continuous data can stored and downloaded from the ESP8266-12E.

No need for a serial data cable, or the Geiger counter pulse pins.

Enjoy!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Geiger Counter IoT

Post by mightyohm »

Nice work! Thanks for sharing your project!
bgrattan

Post by bgrattan »

Hello,
I am using the GC with the IoT mod by dmainmon using an esp8266. Very nice combination and my appreciation to Jeff and dmainmon!
In the debug section of the software there is a voltage reading of the source (3.12 v) which can be displayed. I would like to also display the correct HV but don’t know how to do this. I’m feel this could be done by a series of resistors but don’t want to experiment with a 400 volt range. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance.
You can see the main page (links not active on page): grattans.org/wx/geiger

Bob
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Bob,

This is actually somewhat challenging to do because the high voltage supply is not capable of delivering much current to a load. The high voltage power supply is fine for powering a geiger tube, but probably would not be able to supply enough current to a voltage divider and an ADC. It's something you would have to experiment with. The "good" part of this is that the power supply is safe to handle and minimizes the risk of electric shock.