Connect to multiple AP's

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
marksan

Connect to multiple AP's

Post by marksan »

Hi there. I want to be able to take my Wifi Radio WL-520GU from Home to Work. How can I add more than one set of credentials so that the router can connect to both my home router and my work router? And no, I can't change either routers settings so that they match. I want to be able to use the radio with two+ AP's with different SSID's and encryption keys and I want the Radio to automatically connect to the one that is around. Thanks!
mtennant

Re: Connect to multiple AP's

Post by mtennant »

Perhaps someone with better skills than I could implement the AutoAP script into OpenWRT for this radio. I recall it was implemented in OpenWRT after being introduced into DD-WRT.

I build WL-520GU based routers all the time using AutoAP and DD-WRT, which will also seek out open wireless networks and connect to them automatically.

Here is a link to a fork of the original AAP for OpenWRT called MagicConnect.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22427

Looks like the hard part has been done.
marksan

Post by marksan »

Thank you mtennant! That looks almost like what I need, but it is a great start. It looks as though it only supports WEP on the whitelist, and I would need WPA. Geee, I wonder why they focus on open routers and ones that use WEP encryption? :D (For a side project, I wonder how hard it would to implement some of the scripts from backtrack4 on the router. Your neighbors would love it!)

I would also want to change the magic cookie test to pinging google instead. I wish I knew this language better. Can anybody out there help a starving grad student out?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Try asking for help on the OpenWrt forums.