Vacuum desoldering station

Discussion about events, resources, or any topic not related to one of the project forums below.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Vacuum desoldering station

Post by mightyohm »

Anyone used one?

Does anyone have one that they like?

I'm wondering if this would be a useful tool for the lab. I am often let-down by solder wick and my plunger-type solder sucker. They never get quite all of the solder out of the vias around every pin of a multipin component, leaving the component hopelessly stuck to the PCB I am trying to save...
RocketMan

Re: Vacuum desoldering station

Post by RocketMan »

Thread necromancy alert!
I am currently using a Hakko 808 gun-style vacuum desoldering tool. It works very well for desoldering small components from single layer and multilayer circuit boards. I originally purchased it to repair computer motherboards with bad capacitors and have used it successfully on a number of other projects, as well. Simple to use with adjustable temperature output, easy to clean, lots of accessories available. Not too hard on the bank account priced in the $150-160 range at some online sources.
yello

Re: Vacuum desoldering station

Post by yello »

I have a de-solder gun called S-998P and it works quite well. I bought it in China for about US$90 or so. I would buy it again.