OpenWRT vs DD-WRT

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
gerben

Re: OpenWRT vs DD-WRT

Post by gerben »

I used to have option 1 in my setup. Quite useful at the time.

I have wireless working with psk2. No problem (other than lousy wireless on my ISPs router )-: )
If I remember correctly, I can just connect wired Ethernet to the wan port when wireless is off. However, to connect to it from the wan side, you'd have to add a rule to the firewall to allow that. I think that in my configuration you could do without that by using a normal lan-port, but I'm not sure.

Here is my config

Code: Select all

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /etc/config/wireless
config wifi-device  wl0
        option type     broadcom
#       option channel  11

# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        # option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option network  lan
        option mode     sta
        option ssid     Buurman
        option encryption psk2
        option key      aGFidXVybUHq

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /etc/config/network 
#### VLAN configuration 
config switch eth0
        option vlan0    "1 2 3 4 5*"
        option vlan1    "0 5"

#### Loopback configuration
config interface loopback
        option ifname   "lo"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

#### LAN configuration
config interface lan
        option type     bridge
        option ifname   "eth0.0"
        option proto    dhcp
        #option proto   static
        #option ipaddr  192.168.16.1
        #option netmask 255.255.255.0

#### WAN configuration
config interface        wan
        option ifname   "eth0.1"
        option proto    dhcp

Those mpd errors look to be expected, if you don't have a soundcard pluged in.
nedix

Post by nedix »

I got again on it but no luck what-so-ever. I understand the mpd errors and I agree with them, as in I have to have a sound card connected to make it work. But, unfortunately, I haven't been able to make the USB work; I looked all-ver (I guess) and for my WRT54G v2.2 it seems that the USB pins are different from the standard RH21/23/25/26. I found on a forum that they should be RH19/20 but the first problem was that they were opened by default on the PCB. I grounded them with 15k resistors and soldered the USB data pins but still nothing, the USB soundcard was not lit and not working. Moreover, I was not able to access the router anymore on any interface, it wasn't even responding to ping. The lights were happily blinking in Normal mode and in "safe" mode I could access the router only a couple of times and then it was dead.
Once I desoldered the wires everything returned to normal . I am really puzzled by this behavior and I ran out of places to look for.

PS: I even found my BCM5325 pinouts and I tried to make some sense out of it but nothing (see pic). My RH19 and RH20 are actually connected with pins 40 and 49.
Attachments
bcm5325m.gif
gerben

Post by gerben »

Sorry. That's way out of my comfort zone. So I can't give you any useful advise here.
nedix

Post by nedix »

It's OK, I just wanted to share my experience and maybe others have bumped into the same thing. If I will not find the answer in a fashionable time frame then I will have to drop this project. Buying a router + additional components doesn't quite make sense since for the same money I can buy a stand-alone IRadio from Philips for example.
Anyway, thanks for your help :) I'll probably come back with other issues once I figure out how to connect the USB.
gerben

Post by gerben »

Might I suggest going with the raspberry Pi, it this fails. That way you can still tinker with your radio and add features as you like. It's a lot more fun than just buying a philips radio.
nedix

Post by nedix »

The suggestion sounds well and indeed the pleasure and fun are coming from building and tinkering with it. However, since I don't have a raspberry pi this means more dough put into this project. It's a pity I have to drop this but it seems that my v2.2 board is weird, it doesn't resemble other v2.2. So, until some other "freak" comes up with the USB pinout for this board I will just revert to the original firmware or DD-WRT.