How to set volume

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
Clutchcargo

How to set volume

Post by Clutchcargo »

I'm a total noob but I can follow directions. I just finished the Asus WiFi radio firmware project. It works perfectly.
I want to change the volume settings to something lower than 100%. I need a line-out volume setting so that I can try this with an audio reciever.
Could someone tell me how and where I can make this change?

Edit: I know the volume can be adjusted in the MPD client but I want to make sure the maximum volume can never go above something like 15%... Is that possible?
TIA
gerben

Re: How to set volume

Post by gerben »

just use "mpc volume 15". Add it to the "start" section of "/etc/init.d/mpd", so it will be called every time the router is rebooted. If you want to be able to change the mpd volume to any value, you will have to install a sound manager. Something like pulseaudio or ALSAmixer. But I can be any more specific, as I have only worked with it once, on a Debian PC. Not a really noob-friendly solution.

You could try putting two resistors on the stereo line-out cable.

But if you are using it as a line-out, why would you ever need to change the volume? Or are you afraid it will somehow change to 100% and pop someone's eardrums?
Clutchcargo

Re: How to set volume

Post by Clutchcargo »

The "mpc" part is what I was missing. I had it as: volume "15"

I'm worried that someone else would use the client to adjust volume.
It's not so much the eardrums I'm worried about, It's more about cooking the pre-amp.

Thanks, I'll try that.