MightyOhm vs. Radex (measuring CPS/CPM)

Support forum for the mightyohm.com Geiger Counter.
http://mightyohm.com/geiger
Hirsch

MightyOhm vs. Radex (measuring CPS/CPM)

Post by Hirsch »

Dear Jeff & Community,

since some time I am considering to get into the GM counter space. Basically I'am interested in purely measuring CPS/CPM in order to get a feel of the environment (in the granularity of "normal" vs. "high").

I understand that MightyOhm is meant to be purely educational and by no means an official GM counter product like the ones from Radex, GammaScout, International Medicom etc.

But from a purely technical point of view the MightOhm is using the same SBM20 tube as a Radex does. So as I am anyway only interested in measuring a normal number vs. high number of clicks, I am wondering if a Radex would really bring any measurement related value to the table. As far as I understand it, the Radex doesn't even give CPS/CPM but only uSv/h.

Any information or pointer on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hirsch

EDIT: More telling subject
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: MightyOhm vs. Radex (measuring CPS/CPM)

Post by mightyohm »

If all you are interested in is CPS/CPM, then my kit should be just as accurate as any other SBM-20 based counter. If you need to measure actual dosage (uSv) then you need to calibrate the counter against a known source.
lunobili

Re: MightyOhm vs. Radex (measuring CPS/CPM)

Post by lunobili »

Hirsch,
this is just to back Jeff's answer because he really deserves credit and support for making such a good product.
I both own a Medicom counter and a MightyOhm kit. I can say that although, as you might expect, the Medicom counter is more sensitive, with a conversion factor of 0.057 I get absolutely comparable readings. If you just want to have a feel for normal vs high, by all means go for the MightyOhm kit.

If you are curious, this feed is produced by the MightyOhm kit.

https://cosm.com/feeds/64861

Luca