lcd display using 16f877

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
alaughlin7

lcd display using 16f877

Post by alaughlin7 »

hi jeff,

I was wondering if anyone used a pic 16F877 microcontroller for the LCD. I want to use this chip and program it using microcode, I have a little experience with microcode but having a prolblem building the code.

Thanks,

Andrew
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: lcd display using 16f877

Post by mightyohm »

I haven't seen anyone using a PIC. Certainly it can be done. Does the 16F877 have a UART and A/D? If not your task will be considerably more difficult.

I'm not familiar with microcode, do you mean assembly language?
JackS.WilsonIII

Post by JackS.WilsonIII »

Yes, He means Assembly. We are working on the same project. We actually use a program called Microcode and Microburn. We just need to know if there's any way to convert what you give us (which i believe is c code) to assembly so we can run the interface with the 16F877 chip? Or if you know how we should go about making our own hex file?
JackS.WilsonIII

haha and just to add, both of us have our project due wednesday morning!!!
its a strugle. this is the only thing stopping us

thanks
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Trying to convert my C code to asm is almost certainly not the right approach. You need to think at a higher level and make a block diagram of your proposed program, then figure out if your chosen microcontroller is right for the job, and write the code.

I'm not familiar enough with the '877 to know if it even has the required peripherals, but given that this is a class project I'll let you guys do the work!

Best of luck, I think you have a lot of work ahead of you!
JackS.WilsonIII

Its our senior project, so i hope we get it or no graduation..

lol thanks