WL-520GC + sound + webcam ?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
limor

WL-520GC + sound + webcam ?

Post by limor »

Hi, I'm contemplating getting a 520 GC version of the router since the GU doesn't seem to be any longer available online anywhere here in Europe. GCs are available for 35EUR.

From what i've read, the GC has only 2mb of memory. Precompiled kernels for the GC are kernels available from dd-wrt.com and openwrt.org
it seems from googleing that the kernels can be flashed over the web interface onto a fresh GC router which means no need to use the serial interface to flash the firmware.

I believe i'll have to use a USB hub in order to link a USB memory stick, a webcam and a USB sound device.

can anyone give some insight as to whether this is all possible with the GC small memory ?
how complicated is it to compile a kernel for this device with the 2mb memory limit?

(should i drop the idea of using a GC and just look harder for a GU ?)

thanks!
Madox

Re: WL-520GC + sound + webcam ?

Post by Madox »

You know the GC doesn't have a USB port right? You'll have to fiddle around with a few extra components and stuff....is that messing around worth the 5-10EUR in difference to the GU?

/me just went to and left EU.... was thinking of importing GU's to EU for a few other people lol.
limor

Post by limor »

I didnt realize it doesnt have USB :?
the price is around 55 EUR which makes the exercise a little less enticing.

are there any other embedded wifi devices at the 30 EUR price level that can be reflashed with linux have a usb interface ?
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

I don't think so, but I haven't looked in almost a year now. The WL-520gU was the clear winner when I searched for a router for this project. The next best bet was the Asus WL-500gP v2, but it costs significantly more.
Bahko

Post by Bahko »

I got my Wl-520gc for 40eu i added 32Mb of Ram 4Mb of flash MMC -card and a USB webcam but i`m still trying to get the new kernel up and running with all the features the idea was to make a iP webcam
You can add some resistors to the Gc version and make it support USB devices there is a 2Mb version on ddwrt that supports our router two
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Bahko, you actually soldered in new RAM and flash chips?? I would love to see more about this, do you have any pictures or a writeup on the mods that you would like to share??
pansu

Post by pansu »

Bahko wrote:I got my Wl-520gc for 40eu i added 32Mb of Ram 4Mb of flash MMC -card and a USB webcam but i`m still trying to get the new kernel up and running with all the features the idea was to make a iP webcam
You can add some resistors to the Gc version and make it support USB devices there is a 2Mb version on ddwrt that supports our router two
Hi Bahko, could you give some detailed guide on add some resistors to make Gc with USB port? Does the USB 2.0 or 1.1? Thanks