Making the Asus WL-520gU portable.

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
tehKitten

Making the Asus WL-520gU portable.

Post by tehKitten »

Hello,

I want to power the router with some external power thing. Just like you can charge your iPod with some special chargers. I want to power up the router with something like that. To make it 'portable'. So I did found this. It has 5 volts and 2A, exactly what the routers needs, and after some little discussion with someone the router could run a few hours on it with not to heavy work. But... because I don't have that much money at all for some little project, I was wondering if the router could work on 1A. The most products that can function as an external battery have an output of 1A (1000mAh, just to be sure ^.^") and are a lot cheaper.

I want to make a portable sniffer. Meaning as in letting it run on DD-WRT and putting a flash drive in it as a 'hard drive'. Then run a sniffer on it and let it log. And then I want it to be completely powered with some battery pack. And again, it just needs to run an hour or so, not more. There are a lot of other things I want to do with the router too besides that (making it a multi-project :3) such as having an IRC bouncer on it, and maybe even some network file sharing (it has an usb port anyway and a hub could be used)

I hope anyone can help me! Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
tehKitten
mtennant

Re: Making the Asus WL-520gU portable.

Post by mtennant »

See this post. I checked the link at Walmart for the USB power supply, but they are out at this time.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141&sid=a60f8ac9560 ... c3dfd#p851

Found it on eBay too! http://cgi.ebay.com/Music-Power-Encore- ... 5640604774
tehKitten

Post by tehKitten »

That thing has an output of 500mAh, so that means the router will work with just that? So I can take just *any* external usb battery pack? I just want to be sure that I don't waste my money ;)
mtennant

Post by mtennant »

It ran the router and a pair of speakers for two hours.
tehKitten

Post by tehKitten »

Okay, thank you very much!

But now I have another question.. I want a program to run on it when the router is running DD-WRT. For that I've read I needed to cross-compile it. Can you help me a bit with that too? Do I just do a custom ./configure and make it, or is it way more complicated than that?
mtennant

Post by mtennant »

Sniffer? Do you mean AutoAP?

DD-WRT? Not sure about that. This project uses OpenWRT!
tehKitten

Post by tehKitten »

AutoAP is very interesting and sounds very useful to my ears, but it's not what I search. I search the kind of sniffing as in what WireShark does. Now I can use tcpdump instead of the other program I wanted to use, because the other program just does'nt want to compile for me (that was JustNiffer)

So now I got TCPdump for the local connection to sniff. And maybe AutoAP in the future. Thanks for the tip ;)
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

I think I know what you're trying to build, and you should probably ask this question on a DD-WRT specific forum. This one is dedicated to an OpenWRT-based internet radio/music player.

Jeroen