who is using USB mass storage?

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: who is using USB mass storage?

Post by mightyohm »

Chris,

I had a lot of headaches with mpd 0.14. It depends on glib2, which is huge - several hundred Kb - and I also couldn't get streams to work because of a libcurl issue. I ended up reverting back to 0.13.2. You can try installing 0.13.2 and see if that fixes your problems - it should free up some flash as well if you remove glib2.

Here is a package for mpd 0.13.2, the same one I used in my wifi radio tutorial:

http://mightyohm.com/files/kamikaze-2.4 ... mipsel.ipk

You can download the package directly to the router using wget and then install it with opkg.

This might fix your problem with songs ending prematurely. Let me know if you try it.
artoo-detoo.net

Post by artoo-detoo.net »

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try.
artoo-detoo.net

Post by artoo-detoo.net »

That fixed it, now I have a strange problem with the system either panicking or becoming unstable (dropped devices) when I try and have USB storage and USB serial connected via a Hub.

Connected on their own they work great, but together via the hub results in panics/crashes. Serial connection is going to my Ardunio.

I'm going to try and document it, and will post my finding here and over on the main openWRT forum.
regiscruzbr

Post by regiscruzbr »

Hi all

I'm using the precompiled image of Kamikaze from mightyohm tutorial and I would like to use USB mass storage drive on my router. My flash drive is already formatted in ext3 and my question is... Do I need to install any extra packages to use this feature or this Kamikaze image has everything that I need?

Can someone give-me the basic sequence to have it working?

I tried to follow this tutorial twice but had no success, I believe that this sequence does not apply to the version used by the Kamikaze tutorial from mightyohm.

I'm sure many other people will benefit from this information because this is a very useful feature.

Thanks
regiscruzbr

Post by regiscruzbr »

Hey guys!

I think that I got some progress, seems that this mounted... :lol:

Code: Select all

root@OpenWrt:/# mount -t ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt      
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds                                  
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on sd(8,1), internal journal                 
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.                                                     
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.                             
root@OpenWrt:/# 
I used four packages, kmod-usb2, kmod-fs-vfat, kmod-usb-storage and kmod-fs-ext3.
Well, in the tutorial said that this is done and now I can access my disc, I have a folder and a Hello_World.sh file inside my pendrive, but when i try to access my device I receive:

Code: Select all

root@OpenWrt:/# ls  /dev/sda1                                                   
ls: /dev/sda1: No such file or directory                                        
root@OpenWrt:/# cd  /dev/sda1                                                   
/bin/ash: cd: can't cd to /dev/sda1                                             
root@OpenWrt:/# 
What is the correct command to access my files? :|

Thanks
Schwabinger

Post by Schwabinger »

I try to built an internet radio using an nslu2 which is controlled by an arduino.

Operation system as well as mpd/mpc are started from an USB stick.
After a lot of reboots in the last weeks, the boot process tended to last longer and longer.
dmesg occasionally talks about "successful recovery".

So my question: Do you have similar stability issues with a sulution that runs on the asus router?
Principally the nslu2 design works but in the end I want a stable and usable configuration.

Schwabinger
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

No, can't say I have any stability issues with my USB stick. This actually sounds like the flash memory on the stick is wearing out, which happens because flash bits can only be written to a limited number of times. You could try a different stick, as better models sometimes have a feature that spreads usage across the entire memory space, instead of reusing the same bits time and again.

Jeroen
Schwabinger

Post by Schwabinger »

Thanks for your answer.
Maybe I should get myself a new stick as long as the old still works install new from scratch.
Schwabinger
jaswhite05

Post by jaswhite05 »

I am having some difficulty trying to get my wifi radio fully setup. I am using the ASUS WL-520gu with 3D usb sound card adapter. I have connected up the adapter through a simple, powered 4 port usb hub. i am running the kamikaze bleeding edge r12857. Everything works fine, however, if i choose to attach my WD my book external hard drive things go awry. In oder to get the partitions on the HD recognized, I have to install the kmod-usb2 pkg. But in doing so, the sound card no longer functions. I remove this package and the sound card functions.

I would appreciate any help or advice on the topic you could provide. Thank you.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

USB 2.0 support is known to have problems on the WL-520gU. In particular, it seems to break USB audio support when using hubs - exactly the scenario you are in.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118&hilit=usb+audio+hub