No music output at all :(

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
minerva

No music output at all :(

Post by minerva »

I can't get any streaming audio output at all from mpd/mpc on my WL-520GU. Can anyone please provide any advice? Thanks.

- Am using a WL-520GU and a USB sound device with the CM108 chipset, which is the closest matching sound-dongle chipset I could get.
- Am using Jeff's OpenWRT installation image.
- Have followed Jeff's tutorial up to the end of part 5.
- I have not yet installed the UART wiring, because you don't strictly need it to do the OpenWRT installation, it just gives you additional information.
- OpenWRT installation, network and internet connectivity, etc, is all fine.
- Green LED on the sound dongle lights up constantly, doesn't flash or anything.
- /dev/sound/dsp shows up when the sound chipset is plugged into the USB port.
- No music output at all. No continuous beep or tone, which is a problem that some other people report.
- If I cat /dev/random > dev/sound/dsp, this successfully generates random loud pulses of popping and buzzing from the speakers (whenever the random data corresponds to something that /dev/sound/dsp thinks is audio, I guess.) So it does look like the sound chipset is working.
jeroen94704

Re: No music output at all :(

Post by jeroen94704 »

Just to be sure, can you try and get the sound dongle to work with your desktop/laptop?

Jeroen
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: No music output at all :(

Post by mightyohm »

Help us out by showing us your mpd.conf and the output of dmesg.