OSS Mixer Configuration

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
interpohl

OSS Mixer Configuration

Post by interpohl »

Hej everyone,

I hate to bother you with this, but I just couldn't figure this out myself.
So I own the WL-500G Premium and did the whole tutorial and it basically works like a charm. However a while ago I had to reset the whole thing ( stupid network-access related thing) and now one problem reemerged.
I'm close to the proposed sound config in
/etc/mpd.conf
with one addition, namely the mixer. In total my audio config is

Code: Select all

audio_output {
        type                    "oss"
        name                    "My OSS Device"
        device                  "/dev/sound/dsp"
        mixer_device        "/dev/sound/mixer"
        format                  "44100:16:2"
}
So here's what happens: I start mpd, it runs and mpc states "volume:0%". If I try to change the volume, it will state "problems setting volume".
If I remove the mixer-line to get the proposed config only, it says "volume:n/a".

I remember that it did work before I set the whole thing back to zero. Unfortunately I'm unable to recall just what it was I did. Maybe one of you did have the same problem or something related and he / she is able to help me out?
It would be REALLY much appreciated!

Best regards,
interpohl

edit: I forgot to mention that I do hear audio output, i.e. that the general audio setup as stated above is working, but I can't change the mpd volume.
onlyslightlymad

Re: OSS Mixer Configuration

Post by onlyslightlymad »

You are missing one line in your mpd.conf file. You need to set the mixer type as per the last line in my mpd.conf shown below.

Code: Select all

music_directory         "/music"
playlist_directory      "/music"
db_file                 "/music/database"

input {
        plugin "curl"
}

audio_output {
        type            "oss"
        name            "My OSS Device"
        device          "/dev/sound/dsp"
        format          "44100:16:2"
}

mixer_type              "software"
This is my entire mpd.conf file and works perfectly on my WL500GPV2

Hope that helps!
interpohl

Re: OSS Mixer Configuration

Post by interpohl »

Hello there,

oh thank you so, so much for your great help!
I just gave your suggestion a try and it instantly worked like a charm :) I had already tried using mixer_type "software" before, but placed it within the audio_output area which didn't make it work (unfortunately!).
So it's obviously crucial to place the relevant line outsidethis code block. Thank you very much for directly pointing me to the solution!

I am really grateful, my device is finally 100% remote-controllable again. I really owe you one, best wishes & regards. Once again, thanks a bunch! ;)

interpohl