Communicating AVR with PC using router

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
amr

Communicating AVR with PC using router

Post by amr »

Firstly, I would like to thank MightyOhm for this project. It looks really great.

I am a newbie with linux and servers/routers, so I have a question.
Is it possible to communicate between AVR and PC using modified router with serial port (like in this project).

In this project I see that there is some kind of script in router that download data from the internet (song name and artist). Is it possible to catch data not from some place in internet, but from PC connected to this WiFi network? I mean to transmit and receive data between application on PC and AVR?

I would like to add some detectors to AVR and to send data from them to PC, also to send data from PC to AVR to control RC servo.
jeroen94704

Re: Communicating AVR with PC using router

Post by jeroen94704 »

Yes, you can, but I don't think there's a standard way of doing this (i.e. You'll need to do your own scripting etc). Also, using a router just to communicate wirelessly with an AVR seems like overkill. Why not go for a setup with two XBee modules, and leave the whole router out? Or you could get a Nanode RF and WiNode, and connect your sensors and actuators to the WiNode.

So you have plenty of options that don't require a router.

Jeroen