Progress!

Discussion about my Wifi Radio project at http://mightyohm.com/wifiradio/ or my WL-520gU talk at NOTACON.
jeroen94704

Progress!

Post by jeroen94704 »

Finally. After some trouble getting stuff working with the latest stable OpenWRT release (8.09.2) and frustrating wait to get a DOA USB sound-dongle replaced, I am now, as I'm typing this, listening to the first sounds from my Asus WL-500G Deluxe-based MPD-box.

I'm so stoked I had to share this :).

Jeroen
ilinux

Re: Progress!

Post by ilinux »

You could use a readymade firmware...
cj6666

Post by cj6666 »

Congradulation on your new toy :lol:
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

ilinux wrote:You could use a readymade firmware...
C'mon, where's the fun in _that_ ;)

Jeroen
ilinux

Post by ilinux »

Global warming ;)
mightyohm
Site Admin

Post by mightyohm »

Congrats!
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

Thanks. I'm loving the setup. I don't have a display attached to the router, but am using an old wifi-capable iPaq PDA I had lying around to control my mpd box.

Works like a charm, although the UI is a little slow and not optimized for non-stylus use.

Jeroen
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

OK I know that this is a bit cheeky but is there any way that you could post us a 'how to' guide on your personal setup.
I've just got myself a wl-500g premium router and was wanting to start having some fun.
I've run into problems when trying to use the firmware from this website and was wondering if you could enlighten me on how you managed it.
I also still have my old wl-500g (non premium version) that you helped me to sort out however this one just doesn't seem manly enough for the task, Keeps giving me 10 seconds of sound followed by 1 second of silence.
Many thanks in advance
jeroen94704

Post by jeroen94704 »

That's funny timing. I just did another install, on a WL-500g Premium this time, and realized I lost the personal TODO I made the last time around. So I started writing a new one. Here's what I have so far (Note that my way requires a formatted USB stick):

Code: Select all

Install OpenWrt 10.03 (follow instructions on the OpenWrt website)

opkg install kmod-usb-core
opkg install kmod-usb2
opkg install kmod-usb-storage
opkg install kmod-usb-uhci
opkg install kmod-fs-ext2
opkg install kmod-fs-ext3
opkg install kmod-fs-vfat
opkg install kmod-sound-core
opkg install kmod-usb-audio
opkg install alsa-lib

Prepare a USB stick, making sure it has an ext3 filesystem. Then:

mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /usb    # <-- In your case, /dev/discs/disc0/part2 may need to be something different

In the file /etc/opkg.conf, add the line "dest usb /usb"

opkg install -d usb mpd # <-- This also installs a bunch of dependencies, which don't all fit on the on-board flash

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usb/usr/lib/:/usb/lib/
Now you should be able to run mpd, after properly configuring mpd.cond.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you get stuck, and I'll try to help you out.

As an aside, I also have the non-premium (deluxe) version of this router, and have not experienced any trouble getting it to play music. Are you feeding it anything special that is giving it a hard time?

Jeroen
erickphilips

Post by erickphilips »

Ok so it's taken me a while but I've almost done it. I have a USB flash drive formated with ext2(ubuntu 11.04 doesn't give you the option to do ext3...) MPD seemed to install onto the flash drive fine and the router will mount the flash drive on start up. I'm struggling with the final section. Exporting the library.
Many thanks for your help so far.
Last edited by erickphilips on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.