Suggestions for v2.0!

Support forum for the mightyohm.com Geiger Counter.
http://mightyohm.com/geiger
whipaway

Suggestions for v2.0!

Post by whipaway »

Hi everyone!
I picked up the last kit at my local MicroCenter. The original price on the box was $120, then a sticker on top of that was priced at $99.99. then a sticker on top of that one was priced at $63.99. Imagine my surprise when at checkout the price was $51.19! Plus $4.42 tax for an out the door price of $55.61!

I put it together, and works perfectly! It is happily clicking away next to me as I type this message.

I have some suggestions for a v2.0 revision.
Perhaps the LED (with associated drive circuitry)and a piezo with built-in oscillator could be hung off of Q2, thus allowing AVR-less operation, and additionally it would free up a wee bit of memory in the AVR for those who might want to install custom software that needs a little bit more of memory.

As an aside, I worked at Amperex Electronics in the mid-80s, and they were making a ton of GM tubes at the time, maybe in response to demand after Chernobyl?
If I recall correctly, those tubes were much longer and larger in diameter than the SBM-20 and one end had a threaded rod coming out of it.
When they closed in 1989, tons and tons of those tubes were thrown into the dumpster. D@mm|t, if I had known, what I know now, I would have taken them all!
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for v2.0!

Post by mightyohm »

Thanks for your suggestions! That is a great deal on the kit - Micro Center has been offering the kits on sale for a while. I think they are phasing out some of the Maker Shed items.