Detection of X-Rays

Support forum for the mightyohm.com Geiger Counter.
http://mightyohm.com/geiger
subspace

Detection of X-Rays

Post by subspace »

Hi,

Would a Geiger Counter based on say an SBM-20 tube detect X rays emitted from a cathode ray tube of a television?

Regards,
James.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Detection of X-Rays

Post by mightyohm »

James -

The tube is sensitive to x-rays. However, I don't know if a typical CRT generates enough x-rays to be detected. Try it and let us know what you find!
subspace

Post by subspace »

Hi Jeff,

I built my Geiger counter and I got no reading above background from the CRT. This is a CRT from a projector which operates at a higher voltage than a television so I thought I might get something. I guess the shielding built into the tube is doing its job.

I tested it on some old camping mantles to make sure it was working. I also found an old borosilicate glass lampshade that was radioactive, I guess they must have used radioactive metals in the manufacturing process.

James.
Jagnag

Post by Jagnag »

My parents have an older 32" Sony Trinitron CRT in their guest room and it definitely made the this kit light up. It was about a year ago but recall it being at least 10x background when detected at an inch or 2. Interestingly, some parts of the screen were more active than others in sort of a pattern radiating lower towards the edges and higher towards the center.