Ruggedized version for use in low earth orbit??

Support forum for the mightyohm.com Geiger Counter.
http://mightyohm.com/geiger
SteveRobey

Ruggedized version for use in low earth orbit??

Post by SteveRobey »

Let me first say that I enjoy very much being in a position to ask these questions.. Does your company make a version of this Geiger counter that uses a ruggedized detector that will survive the intense vibration of rocket launch? I am asking because I am a founding member of a team that is designing a pico satellite. We want to cram as many sensors into our satellite as we can and while this particular Geiger counter is a lot bigger than it needs to be, quite honestly the price is right. The problem is that Muller tubes are pretty delicate and I am worried that the intense vibration our satellite is going to experience on it's way to low earth orbit is probably going to destroy this type of tube.

There are ruggedized versions of this available, I'm just wondering if your company has a ready to use kit that utilizes these ruggedized versions or if you intend to start developing one?

Thanks in advance for your input.
mightyohm
Site Admin

Re: Ruggedized version for use in low earth orbit??

Post by mightyohm »

Steve,

There are no plans to design a ruggedized version of the kit. For your application, a solid state detector would likely be more suitable.

For one example, see the attached article.
Attachments
Kainka.pdf
(530.92 KiB) Downloaded 943 times