CDV-700 calibration question.

Discussion about events, resources, or any topic not related to one of the project forums below.
XOIIO

CDV-700 calibration question.

Post by XOIIO »

Hello all, unsure if this is a good place to discuss this or not, but I can't find many Geiger counter forums.

I recently got myself a CDV 700, and while I want to get it professionally calibrated it's a bit expensive at this time (a tad over $100, just $35 less than I paid not including shipping).

Anyways, I have heard that the test source is either supposed to measure at 2 exactly, or between two and 3, however this one reads up to 4 easily, and can even max out the meter (all on the 10x range btw) if I position it right.

Now, if anything it should read lower due to the half life of depleted uranium, no?

Just wondering if I should "calibrate" it so that it reads roughly 2 or so, or if it might be fine, and they used the alternative to depleted uranium and somehow it has gained radioactivity?

Anyways, just hoping for it to be roughly accurate till I have the spare cash to get it calibrated. It is understandable that it is out of cal though, since the last calibration was in 1984 :)
JoshuaOa

CDV 700 calibration question

Post by JoshuaOa »

Oh, forgot to mention by following the above noted instructions the midrange best number for calibration was 10 this time first photo - for the above pictures. The first time I did it the midrange best number was -8